The conference's Committee on Divine Worship recommended the action in light of new liturgical texts. The vote at the general assembly of bishops' during the November 13 morning session in Baltimore passed the proposal by 189 to 41, with one abstention. The vote means the Committee on Divine Worship will begin translation and editing. It will present a full draft to the conference when its work is completed. The new edition will include:
- Changes in light of the new edition of the Roman Missal
- Hymns will use English translations of Latin Hymns provided by the International Committee on English in the Liturgy.
- Psalms will come from the Revised Grail Psalter, translated by the Benedictines at Conception Abbey in Missouri.
- Canticles from the Old Testament, the New Testament and the Gospel may use the current translation, an updated translation from the New American Bible; or new translations from Conception Abbey.
- Biblical reading will be adjusted according to approved texts.
The current edition of the Liturgy of the Hours was published in 1975 and 1976 by Catholic Book Publishing, with a 1992 supplement. The Liturgical Commission develops the following books:
- Franciscan Rituals
- Guide for Franciscan Liturgical Celebration
- Franciscan Supplement to the Liturgy of the Hours
- Franciscan Martyrology.
At this point in time there is no final publication date for the supplements. (Three to five years?). If you are in need of supplements, 2013 Guides and/or covers - contact Franciscan Media at 1-800-488-0488. They are the sole supplier at the present time.